Old 24-11-2006, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Amethyst Deceiver Amethyst Deceiver is offline

Default New to compost

Cat(h) wrote:
Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message
ps.com...

Good basic info there, but it suggests that newspaper is best
avoided in compost... why? I use quite a bit of newspaper to dry
up my compost, as well as shredded paper - whatever doesn't go to
the recycling bin goes into the compost, and that works quite well
for me. So. why would an organic website advise against newspaper
in compost heaps?

Cat(h)

I think the theory is that the newsprint is made of chemicals which
may be nasty.

So, it's OK to read them, and eat one's fish and chips in them, but
not to compost them ?;-)

I doubt your fish and chips are actually in the newspaper. They'll be in
plain paper which is over-wrapped in newspaper these days.