Old 24-11-2006, 09:33 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

Default Chain Saw Recommendations - Sharpening

Tomes wrote:

They make a kit for this, although I have not had one. Maybe that could be
a Christmas present idea... The thing is that you want to get a few
dimensions right, not just move the arc back. I take mine in at $6 each.
Anyone wish to comment on self sharpening? Do you use a kit, is it easy,
how is it done?
Tomes

Sharpening with a round file is fine. You don't need a kit. Some tips -
push back on the file not down,
use the right size round file (most homeowner saws 18" and smaller
will use a 5/32", most pro saws will use 7/32"),
keep several chains and try to keep them all sharpened,
keep it sharp, don't wait for it to get dull,
At the point that a chain won't cut anymore it usually needs to be
sent to a shop where it they will use a chain grinder,

and the absolute most important tip is to NEVER let the chain hit the
dirt while cutting.

--
Art