Old 23-03-2003, 03:20 PM
Iris Cohen

Default Absolute rank never-done-nothing beginner. Help!

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Besides getting into an exercise
regimen for the first time in my life, this has necessitated a complete 180 in
terms of my eating.
a MASSIVE yard, which I hate mowing, and thus want to dedicate as
much as possible to vegetables, and maybe a few flowers. -a burning desire to
do this.
-absolutely no idea how to get started.
I'm in Winnipeg,
I should probably start this week sometime. I'll either rent a rototiller or
hire someone to clear out a big patch.

WHOA!! You are in great danger of trying to do too much, too soon, which will
only lead to failure & discouragement. First of all, I think you are in USDA
Zone 4 (Canadian zones are a little different). Even here in Zone 5, we have
another month before we can really do much with planting vegetables or annual
flowers. It is too soon to rototill your vegetable garden, because the soil is
still too wet. I suggest you spend the next 3 weeks in the library, reading
gardening books. Also contact your local representative of Canada Agriculture
and find out about gardening practices in your area.
I recommend the Sunset National Garden Book, which includes Canada, but there
are many others. I'm sure your library has books specific to the central
Canadian provinces. Try searching the Web with such entries as Gardening
Manitoba.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."