Old 25-11-2006, 11:19 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline

Default Chain Saw Recommendations - Sharpening

Art wrote:

Art wrote:
Tomes wrote:

They make a kit for this, although I have not had one. Maybe that
could be a Christmas present idea... The thing is that you want to
get a few dimensions right, not just move the arc back. I take mine
in at $6 each. Anyone wish to comment on self sharpening? Do you use
a kit, is it easy, how is it done?
Tomes

Sharpening with a round file is fine. You don't need a kit. Some tips -
push back on the file not down,
use the right size round file (most homeowner saws 18" and smaller will
use a 5/32", most pro saws will use 7/32"),
keep several chains and try to keep them all sharpened,
keep it sharp, don't wait for it to get dull,
At the point that a chain won't cut anymore it usually needs to be sent
to a shop where it they will use a chain grinder,

and the absolute most important tip is to NEVER let the chain hit the
dirt while cutting.

and of course I left out the obvious which is to follow the existing
chain angles as closely as possible.

--
Art

I was glad to see you follow-up with
that last addition of critical information.

http://www.oregonchain.com/tech/manual_maint.htm
http://www.oregonchain.com/tech/ms_manual/ms_02.pdf
http://www.oregonchain.com/tech/ms_manual/ms_04.pdf

yep, it's a whole lot more than most would ever want to know.
oregon chains are ok and oregon has the technology correct on
these web pages.

for the best possible chain the word is STIHL!