Old 25-11-2006, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
WaltA WaltA is offline

Default New to compost

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 17:31:20 +1100, "Farm1" wrote:
(and can attract mice and snakes [the latter
not being a prob in the UK but are here]).

(snip all the stuff with which I agree : ) )

Snakes can be a prob. in the UK compost heap !
(but perhaps not quite such a _big_ prob. as may be the case in Aus.)
We have two - grass snake and adder (viper),
I have both in my garden.
The latter has a nasty venom which can ( I am told) be fatal in
children and the infirm/unhealthy/sensitive.
The grass snake is harmless except when the compost bin owner is
startled to find it (and its eggs) in the compost heap. A nasty injury
can be sustained when running backwards at high velocity and falling
over one's garden implements.