Old 25-11-2006, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
WaltA WaltA is offline

Default New to compost

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 23:29:32 +0000, K wrote:
Jim Paterson writes
Leaves should be kept separate to be used as leafmould when ready. ( They
rot down by fungal action as opposed to the composting process which uses
bacterial action) Having said that, a FEW leaves won't hurt. hth

I've never really understood this. Why should tree leaves rot down any
differently from grass leaves or weed leaves or cabbage leaves?

Or is it that leaves in quantity settle into a soggy mass that isn't
aerated enough for the bacterial action?

I use large quantities of tree leaves (mostly beech) mixed with grass
mowings in my heaps and they rot down fine. As others have said, I
think it is the carbon/nitrogen thing. ( like with woodshavings or to
lesser extent shredded woody prunings)
The rest of the tree leaves go into the leafmold heaps which do take
longer unless supplemented with "household liquid activator".