Old 26-11-2006, 10:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Eric Hunt[_1_] Eric Hunt[_1_] is offline

Default Good minicatts?

Kathy,

I got a Sophronitis cernua from SBOE ($$$ btw!) I thought my case was too
warm for Sophronitis coccinea. Tom Perlite has a bunch of 4N S. coccinea
coming out of community pots and he's growing them with his Masdevallias.

I have a Laelia alaorii - a division from a plant we had at OrchidMania,
originally from Gold Country. You were with me when I got it at Alan's open
house a couple years ago!

Believe it or not, I'm actually interested in the hybrids. Something I
*know* will be easy to grow/bloom. I don't want to fill the case with them,
but 3-4-5 would be nice.

I'm trying to find a Cattleya luteola - those are supposed to be easy
growers/bloomers. Ecuagenera usually brings one or two, but that's the only
place I've found them.

I was wondering about things like crosses involving C. aclandiae with any of
the small growing rupiculous laelias and/or the small sophronitis or C.
luteola. Most of those are antique crosses, and I've googled around a bit
for them, but no luck. I *love* the brazilian bifoliate catts, and C.
aclandiae is one of the smallest growing ones.

Thanks!

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

"K Barrett" wrote in message
Sophronitis? S. cernua et al but there's a Soph argh... very small,
coccinea shape...Rubra? (an old name...) anyway J&L has these, but you'd
probably do better to get them locally or from Andy's. L alaorii (Alan
Koch has these) Or any of the L pumila types - plus the L. dayanas at
SBOE looked great.(you had some good one's in your recent page)

I mention species becasue I know you are a species nut.

What else is fun.... golly I can't think. Most Mini cats are going to be
rather big... or sprawly.

K Barrett

"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
Hey everyone,

With my new Orchidarium, I've got the ability to grow some minicatts.
Unfortunately, minicatt in the greenhouse world can be a GIANT in my
Orchidarium. I was wondering if anyone had advice on *really* small
minicatts, under 6" blooming size. I plan on mounting whatever I get,
rather than growing in a pot.

I have good humidity and a temp range of 60-70 to 80 depending upon how
warm it is outside. As we move into winter, my days aren't hitting 76,
78, 80 like they were 2 months ago, but my nights are staying at 60-62.

Thanks!

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org