Old 26-11-2006, 11:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett K Barrett is offline

Default Good minicatts?

Good! I forgot you got an L alaorii. I got one too,*G*! Have you any
interest in L lundii? A very small flower, nice stripey lip, but can be
mounted. Flower is about 1/2" across (very small), makes a mat of small
p/bulbs and flowers. On second thought it may be too small/insignificant to
look at.

Fordyce's Circle of Life and its progeny are coming into flower now. Very
nice stuff. But Kenni might be right about Little Toshie. There's an
awarded one on teh Pac Central web page. And if you can find Sierra Doll or
any of its offspring (progeny?) they are rewarding. Large flowers for the
size of the plant. I think there are a few doll type plants on the Pac
central web page (I think they are Slc.s) http://www.aospacificcentral.org

The aclandidae crosses I have are sort of large. Let me look and see what I
have. I want to say I have a Landate crossed back onto aclandiae, and I
have a something or other 'Black Princess' AM/AOS ( I didn't get that award)
but its a smaller sized plant. And a heavily spotted flower. I got it from
Scott Dallas. Both these bloom better when their roots hang over the sides
of the pot.

I've noticed that alot of mini catts are really sprawlly plants. The
p/bulbs don't stand up like standard catts do. They sort of lay allover the
sides of the pot. The aclandiae stand up better.

"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
Kathy,

I got a Sophronitis cernua from SBOE ($$$ btw!) I thought my case was too
warm for Sophronitis coccinea. Tom Perlite has a bunch of 4N S. coccinea
coming out of community pots and he's growing them with his Masdevallias.

I have a Laelia alaorii - a division from a plant we had at OrchidMania,
originally from Gold Country. You were with me when I got it at Alan's
open house a couple years ago!

Believe it or not, I'm actually interested in the hybrids. Something I
*know* will be easy to grow/bloom. I don't want to fill the case with
them, but 3-4-5 would be nice.

I'm trying to find a Cattleya luteola - those are supposed to be easy
growers/bloomers. Ecuagenera usually brings one or two, but that's the
only place I've found them.

I was wondering about things like crosses involving C. aclandiae with any
of the small growing rupiculous laelias and/or the small sophronitis or C.
luteola. Most of those are antique crosses, and I've googled around a bit
for them, but no luck. I *love* the brazilian bifoliate catts, and C.
aclandiae is one of the smallest growing ones.

Thanks!

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

"K Barrett" wrote in message
Sophronitis? S. cernua et al but there's a Soph argh... very small,
coccinea shape...Rubra? (an old name...) anyway J&L has these, but you'd
probably do better to get them locally or from Andy's. L alaorii (Alan
Koch has these) Or any of the L pumila types - plus the L. dayanas at
SBOE looked great.(you had some good one's in your recent page)

I mention species becasue I know you are a species nut.

What else is fun.... golly I can't think. Most Mini cats are going to be
rather big... or sprawly.

K Barrett

"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
Hey everyone,

With my new Orchidarium, I've got the ability to grow some minicatts.
Unfortunately, minicatt in the greenhouse world can be a GIANT in my
Orchidarium. I was wondering if anyone had advice on *really* small
minicatts, under 6" blooming size. I plan on mounting whatever I get,
rather than growing in a pot.

I have good humidity and a temp range of 60-70 to 80 depending upon how
warm it is outside. As we move into winter, my days aren't hitting 76,
78, 80 like they were 2 months ago, but my nights are staying at 60-62.

Thanks!

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org