Old 26-11-2006, 07:38 PM posted to rec.ponds
Snooze[_1_] Snooze[_1_] is offline

Default new Rec.Ponds.Moderated group -update

I really hope you're able to create it. The only problem with moderated
newsgroups, is the time commitment necessary for the moderator, even with a
good filtering program. Moderating a newsgroup is a thankless job.

I see 2 problems with creating a new newsgroup, especially one that's
moderated.

1) Stress & time commitment from the moderators. Consider this in this
newsgroup, we currently see many posts from obvious trolls, those can easily
be filtered. However we also see a flood of posts from a certain individual,
many from an army of alternate identities and different news servers. Some
on topic, most not, and usually retaliatory. Should half that persons posts
make it, and the other half not, it's usually going to result in long
standing controversy, and encourage the moderators to black list them.

2) Newsgroup critical mass. It's really difficult to create a new newsgroup,
and populate it. Various forums, mailing lists, google & yahoo groups have
spun off from here, most have failed because they never achived critical
mass, for a variety of reasons. If you build it, they will come is almost
never true.

But good luck.

-S