Old 23-03-2003, 04:32 PM
Gary Woods

Default farm ponds ok on this group?

Eddie wrote:

at first glance, this NG seems mostly about "backyard" ponds, the kind with
a liner and a filter. would "farm" ponds be off topic?

I sure hope it's OK; I post occasionally though I have a 2/3 acre earth
pond.

I do have water lilies and lotus grown in plastic pails (and the Lotus in
tubs) in it.

Where are you located?

Likely nature will provide the "cover" foliage, and your local soil
conservation and/or county agent types can point you at sources for fish.

I stocked with fathead minnows and large mouth bass. Only the bass
survived once they started spawning, 2 years after stocking fingerlings. I
thin them occasionally by the "worm and six-pack" method.