Old 26-11-2006, 09:30 PM posted to rec.ponds
BoyPete BoyPete is offline

Default Pond Cover

Peter Breed wrote:
After reading several websites that suggested covering a pond and
keeping the filter running during the winter I decided to give it a
go. My first attempt has used bigbubble bubble wrap covering about
70% of the pond area and insulating the filter. This has been a
spectacular success with the water temperature increasing from 7 to
10 Celsius over 1 week. However its a bit unsightly, doesn't look if
it'll have much longeviety and its difficult to check out whether the
fish are enjoying their warmer home.

My latest plan is to take two layers of Plexiglas and attach a couple
of inches of polystyrene to the edges to float the glazing off the
water allowing air exchange.
The alternatives seem to be a temporary greenhouse/polytunnel, or a
wood based construction.
The advantages of my idea seemed to be ease of construction, better
aesthetic and easiness of storage when not in use.
I am basically putting this idea on here for people to shoot the idea
down before I spend my hard earned cash on materials.
Peter

PS I should say that I live in the middle of the UK and the winters
are long but don't get very cold. In the 2 winter's I've had my pond
has had no more than half an inch of ice, however there is quite a
bit of wind chill which I think is what the bubblewrap cover has
helped with.

I'm using big bubble wrap too, on a frame of plastic poles. First problem
has been the 'waterproof' tape I used to join sections, wasn't. Now, the
high winds we have had this weekend have partially destroyed the structure.
Gonna have a rethink.

--
ßôyþëtë
SE London, UK