Old 26-11-2006, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Box (Buxus) problem

Charlie Pridham writes

"Jeff" wrote in message
Hi - Father-in-law planted a row of young Box plants (about 50) last year.
I noticed on the last visit that 5 of them (randomly spaced) were
totally defoliated. The leaves just looked as if they had fallen off as
opposed to being eaten.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff (NE England)

There is a problem with box going around these days that does that, called
"Box Blight" it may be that that you have. I believe there is a temporary
solution by drenching in fungicide but most gardens are now removing the box
and replacing it with something else. get it tested before taking drastic
action!

Have just read the article in this month's Garden which describes
Highgrove's gardener controlling it by a tapering rather than flat
topped cut, and cutting later (?September) - it's the young growth which
is affected most. Though this won't help if they are getting totally
defoliated.
--
Kay