Old 27-11-2006, 01:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
tennis maynard tennis maynard is offline

Default Good minicatts?

Eric Hunt wrote:
Hey everyone,

With my new Orchidarium, I've got the ability to grow some minicatts.
Unfortunately, minicatt in the greenhouse world can be a GIANT in my
Orchidarium. I was wondering if anyone had advice on *really* small
minicatts, under 6" blooming size. I plan on mounting whatever I get, rather
than growing in a pot.

I have good humidity and a temp range of 60-70 to 80 depending upon how warm
it is outside. As we move into winter, my days aren't hitting 76, 78, 80
like they were 2 months ago, but my nights are staying at 60-62.

Thanks!

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

If you're mounting, try straight C.walkeriana, C .nobilior, or
C.araguaiensis (http://www.orchidcourt.com/araguaiensis.jpg), a giant at
about 6-7". I have a lovely walkeriana hybrid, C.walkeriana x C.Summer
stars (http://www.orchidcourt.com/summer.jpg), about 6" high, white
flowers with a ripe pear fragrance. Many walkeriana hybrids, like
Lc.Minipurple (http://www.orchidcourt.com/minipurple.JPG), stay almost
as small. Of course with enough light, rupicolous laelias. And I think
most of the 'Jungle Spots' type minis are tiny as well. If you like
C.luteola, SBOE at one time had C.Luteous Forb
(http://www.orchidcourt.com/luteousforb.jpg), a cross with forbesii,
still quite tiny and some, like mine, are rather green. My L.rubescens
(http://www.orchidcourt.com/rubescens.jpg)stays under 5-6" tall, but the
spike can get to 12-14". My C.intermedia amethystina 'Aranbeem
(http://www.orchidcourt.com/aranbeem.jpg)is about 7-8" tall max. And if,
just for fun, you'd like to slip in a standard catt, my C.Marjorie
Hausermann 'York' (http://www.orchidcourt.com/marjoriehauserman.jpg)tops
out at 8-9". I have C.loddigesii coerulea at 7" tall, and I believe my
C.dolosa runs about 6-7" as well. I have a lovely, tiny Lc.Haw Yuan
Angel (http://www.orchidcourt.com/hawyuanangel.jpg)in bloom now which
tops out around 4", with a 3" flower.

Of course, you could just fill it with paphs and be done with it!