Old 27-11-2006, 06:54 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
[email protected] krisndanmail-google@yahoo.com is offline

Default questions on deciduous trees

I am new to this group and to the study of trees in general, but I was
wondering if anyone could help answer a few questions about deciduous
trees.

1) When a leaf is shed by the tree at the start of the dry/cold season,
does a leaf ever grow back from that exact same point on the tree --
i.e., are there additional leaf promordia in that location, or will
that area always remain a scar?

2) As I understand, immediately adjacent to the spot where the leaf was
shed there is a lateral bud that has the potential to sprout into a
shoot. If the answer to question 1) is yes, can some points on a
branch that lost their leaves resprout leaves, while others develop
shoots (and still others retain their buds in dormancy)?

Thanks,
Dan