Old 27-11-2006, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Bare lawn patches...and grass seed

Tolgan wrote:
The good news is that I gave my lawn a feed and some mosskiller a few weeks
back. As a result of which I killed off more moss than I realised was there!

But I'm now left with several unnattractive patches of bare earth. I did try
some grass seed - it was still mild and damp - but no luck.

Two questions:
1. Is there anything worth trying before spring?
2. The grass seed I used was a packet I'd opened back in summer, is there a
limited life to seed once you've opened the packet?

As Alan says, it's worth waiting a while. If you roughed up the bare
patches and scratched the seed in lightly, it may just be taking its
time. The seed should still be perfectly viable if it was kept in a
cool dry place. The shoots aren't always obvious from above at first:
try passing your hand gently over just above the surface, and if you
feel little stubbly bits, it's on the way.

--
Mike.