Old 27-11-2006, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback Broadback is offline

Default Ot Xmas is near

Martin wrote:
On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 15:32:25 +0100, Tim C. wrote:

Following up to "Cat(h)" :

Broadback wrote:
How do I know? Because hot cross buns are now on sale!
Hmmm. I always associated hot cross buns with Easter... Was I wrong?

The problem starts with the fact that Easter is a celebration based on the
lunar calendar. Because of the difference in length of the lunar month (~28
days) and calendar months (28-31 days) the dates that hot cross buns are
prepared will gradually shift through the calendar year, and we have now
arrived at the situation where Easter comes just before Xmas. A strange
phenomenon where we celebrate the death of JC before he was born.

A bit of divine foresight? or a misunderstanding of the way Easter is
calculated and an example of UK supermarkets relationship with Christianity
and avarice?

Meanwhile the great imposter is having problems too
http://www.kilroynews.net/fun/fun-sinterklaas.wmv

This was a tongue in cheek post, meaning that the retailers start every
season so early that "Easter" is starting before Xmas, the January sales
will be on within days, if not already started.