Old 27-11-2006, 09:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Luka Luka is offline

Default Strawberries

You should be afraid if you get lot of snow for a long time .
One solution that some people use is to cover strawberries with
branches of conifers.

http://www.agardening.info

Roger je napisal:
"simy1" wrote in message
ups.com...

Roger wrote:
Hi

bit of a novice when it comes to things in the garden, but we have a
planter about 3 feet high with strawberry plants in it.

I recall as a lad that we covered our strawberries in the ground with
straw
during the winter to protect them frost [I think].

Do strawberries need protecting from the frost?
If so,any ideas on how to do it with this planter - it's far too large to
move inside.

The straw is usually for mulch since they do not compete well with
weeds and they like the consistent moisture. Strawberries make it
outside unprotected here in Michigan, where the temps dip to 0F (-19C)
most years.

Tnx to all for the advice. I think they will survive the winter without
special protection. the North East of England can get chilly / frosty but
usually not for long and not down to 0F (-19C)!

Roger C