Old 27-11-2006, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes Alan Holmes is offline

Default Doormat OT

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Robert wrote in in reply to
Kate Morgan wrote:
Can anyone recommend a seriously good doormat,

Most Fair Trade shops seel coconut door mats, which last for years.
There are two types I have seen, rope-pattern and bristly. The
rope-pattern ones are cheaper, but for a doormat you want the ones with
fibres sticking up about an inch. Go for a very dark brown colour, the
lighter ones seem to "shed" and fall to bits after a couple of years.

I will vouch for that, ours is fitted in a inset at our front door and has
been there for many years and still looks as good as new. It's very dark
brown BTW.
All we do is vacuum it with a very strong upright vacuum cleaner (Kirby)
to get all the grit and dirt out. It's the grit that does the damage.

I usually take them up and put them face down on a path, then stamp, or beat
the back, all the grit then falls out.

Alan

--
Regards