Old 28-11-2006, 07:32 PM posted to rec.ponds
[email protected] dr-solo@wi.rr.xx.com is offline

Default Pond Cover

my pond in winter
http://weloveteaching.com/mypond/winters/winter.htm
it is very easy to do. but then it is a lean to type arrangement.
I vote for using pvc and plastic for a hoop house arrangement if your pond is open on
all sides. all you need is to drive aluminum tubing down into the ground on the
sides. it is easy to do this with a fence "thumper" and the round tubing comes out
lickety split easy in spring. the tubing should rise 2-3 feet up and slip the pvc
down over the tubing. the pvc may need to be joined to make them long enough.
against the tubing on the outside is 1 inch by 6-8 inch plank (I would use U flanges
to hold pipe to wood
throw the plastic up over the hoops, attach by stapling the plastic to the planks and
over the staples screw down some think slats of wood (holds better in the wind than
just staples). if there isnt a big snow load then there really isnt a lot of reason
for perlins on the sides.
if you want the hoop low over the pond, then drive the tubing in at an angle.
the plastic keeps the hoops down. the wood provides "bulk" to hold the whole thing
down. the plastic on the open ends can be pleated and weighted down or stapled down
to more wood.
as a simpler alternative for smaller more regular ponds, just use build a wood square
or rectangle (with hinges) and drill holes for the pvc to fit into. pick up and
carry the whole thing and set it down over the pond.
here is a picture I created showing this.
http://weloveteaching.com/mypond/hoophouse.jpg
Ingrid

Peter Breed wrote:
My first attempt has used bigbubble bubble wrap covering about 70% of
the pond area and insulating the filter. This has been a spectacular
success with the water temperature increasing from 7 to 10 Celsius over
1 week. However its a bit unsightly, doesn't look if it'll have much
longeviety and its difficult to check out whether the fish are enjoying
their warmer home.

The alternatives seem to be a temporary greenhouse/polytunnel, or a wood
based construction.
The advantages of my idea seemed to be ease of construction, better
aesthetic and easiness of storage when not in use.
I am basically putting this idea on here for people to shoot the idea
down before I spend my hard earned cash on materials.
Peter

PS I should say that I live in the middle of the UK and the winters are
long but don't get very cold. In the 2 winter's I've had my pond has
had no more than half an inch of ice, however there is quite a bit of
wind chill which I think is what the bubblewrap cover has helped with.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan