Old 28-11-2006, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim Tim is offline

Default Garden Design Software

Hi all

I'm a freelance architectural technician (CAD monkey) who's worked for a
couple of landscape architects in my time

If the OP wants to collaborate with other professions then in the first
instance AutocadLT is a good choice for pure line drawings

http://www.autodesk.co.uk/adsk/servl...932&id=6669837

It's only 2D but way cheaper than the 3D version plus you can exchange
files with "most" other CAD platforms. You can import scanned maps/images
and draw over those for a bit of a sketchy feel if you want to.

Vectorworks also seems to have a good fanbase in landscaping - or maybe that's
just my imagination? I don't think they have a "Lite" version though

SketchUp is a good alternative, gives you the advantage of 3D capability,
rendering/texturing, sun paths, avi output. You can also import/export
dwg&dxf files which again means you can talk with most other software.

If it was me starting from scratch I'd probably go with SketchUp first, I
don't find it as easy as AcadLT for pure 2D drawing but then Acad runs in my
damn blood :-(

They have fantastic online forums and training videos so download the free
version and have a play :-)

Failing that there are a number of open source options to look at

Let us know if you want more info

HTH

Tim
--