Old 29-11-2006, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Galpin Janet Galpin is offline

Default Leafmould and green manure

The message .com
from contains these words:

Hi,

I'm still new to allotment gardening, and on my travels around the
internet, I came across this:
http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/todo...g_gard_now.php
A little before half way down the page, there's a picture of three beds
treated in different ways. It seems that the one which has been
leafmoulded (if that's the word) is doing brilliantly, but the one on
which green manure has been used seems to be doing even worse than the
one left to its own devices. Could that really be the case? If so, why
use green manure?

Any ideas would be welcome
Nir

I haven't got any conclusive experience of using green manures. I've
used phacelia but not been aware that it's made any great difference.
I prefer to cover as much soil as possible with my own compost and I'm
surprised that the Garden Organic page focuses on leaf mould and leaves
out the effects of more general garden compost.

Janet G