Old 29-11-2006, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Keith \(Dorset\)[_1_] Keith \(Dorset\)[_1_] is offline

Default seaweed

Hi Judith,

We live a few hundred yards from 'tons' of seaweed.. but I wouldn't want it
on my veg. plot. however good it might be! Nasty, pooey, slimy stuff.

Be careful because I believe some seaweeds are protected species. I guess
it's OK to take off dead 'flotsam' from the inter-tidal range though .
However you could get reported or moved on if someone gets the wrong idea.

Collecting or removing anything from a beach nowadays can be problematical -
certainly pebbles from the Chesil Beach down here in Dorset.. (about a mile
from home) which an awful lot of holidaymakers try to do albeit rather
sneakily. It's almost a hanging offence. Quite righthly so...

Cley and Blakeney are a bit bleak at this time of year as I remember, and
the seashore is mostly mud. The beautiful sandy beaches you have would
surely be a better bet (at the high tide line).

Good luck,

Keith

"judith lea" wrote in message
ups.com...
Although I live in Norfolk and relatively near to the East Coast, I
cannot find a beach where I can collect seaweed for a mulch. The
beaches of Gt. Yarmouth and Gorleston are seaweed free. Does anyone
know of a beach in North Norfolk, where I could collect seaweed?