Old 30-11-2006, 12:09 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steveo Steveo is offline

Default to stone or not to stone.....

"JerseyMike" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
JerseyMike said:
What kind of grass?

it's a wide variety. i never said it was a good lawn, it has it's
share of weeds that i can't ever seem to get rid of, but i'd like
to keep it green at least. it has been a struggle for 13 years
and i'm getting tired of it always working out the same way.
that's why i

was
looking for other people's experience w/ stone and their thoughts.

The reason that I asked was: Perhaps you have an abundance of cool

season
grass(es), which would definately give results as you have
experienced, during hot weather. Perhaps going with a more
warm-season grass would do the trick.

If it's a sunny area I'd consider killing the whole thing with roundup
and planting a blend with improved turf type tall fescue. How many
square feet is it, and is it fairly level?

it's about 2300sqft appx.58x40 and has between 2.5' - 3' of pitch from
the house to the street. iv'e never measured the slope but from my best
estimate, it's no more than that.

That's manageable. I'd kill it like I said above and then slice seed it
with about 30 pounds of a tall fescue blend. Buy a 50 pounder and that will
leave you with 20 to spot seed with. The drawback is you'll be doing it in
the spring when all the weeds are going to germinate with it, but it can be
done.

Tall fescue has a very deep root system compared to rye or blue, and with
the endorphytes it is somewhat insect resistant too. It is a little bit
prone to one disease in particular, but it more than makes up for that with
its performance.