Old 29-11-2006, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cliff_the_gardener cliff_the_gardener is offline

Default seaweed

Robert
I half agree with you.
I accept that the seaweed has good nutritients and mulch wise it is not
great.
However I do think its value as a soil conditioner is invaluable. I
believe the alginates within the seaweed help to reduce the leaching of
nutrients within the soil. This makes sandy soils more retentive and
helps to open up clay soils.
I saw an exhibitor at a green keepers exhibition in Harrogate a couple
of years back, where dried, flaked seaweed had been used on golf
courses to reduce their chemical inputs - to the point where some had
gone organic - very unusual for a golf course.
http://www.hmproducts.co.uk/ Only wish it was available retail.
I have used seaweed meal from the Chase orgainics / HDRA catalogue and
on a couple of alotments and felt it did improve things for me.
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorks