Old 30-11-2006, 04:18 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dan L. Dan L. is offline

Default Garden Box Question?

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Dan L." wrote in message
I made two garden boxes during the summer, 12 x 4 feet and 1 foot high,
too big to move. I used a mixture of compost, peat moss and vermiculite.
I live in the thumb area of Michigan (zone 5b). I also enjoyed the
fruits and vegetables of my labor.

Note: I removed some of the mixture from the sides to keep the boxes
from separating to freezing (I hope).

The main question: Should I cover the boxes with tarps?
Will the cold winter and snow cause the soil to be compressed-compacted?
If I cover the boxes up, will it be come a haven for mice?
or diseases and molds form?

Diseases & molds: Forget about it.

Mice: What would happen if you pulled off the tarp in the spring a a couple
of mice ran out from under it? Would you die? Would you be traumatized and
spend the rest of your life in therapy?

So that would be a yes - cover the boxes?
I am not so much concerned about my mental health, it is messed up
already It is the physical concerns. I have had plants, shrubs and
trees to die from diseases and other problems over the years. I am just
wondering if some garden practices are better than others for healthy
soils and healthy plants.

--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.