Old 30-11-2006, 01:26 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steveo Steveo is offline

Default to stone or not to stone.....

"JerseyMike" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"JerseyMike" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
JerseyMike said:
What kind of grass?

it's a wide variety. i never said it was a good lawn, it has
it's share of weeds that i can't ever seem to get rid of, but
i'd like to keep it green at least. it has been a struggle
for 13 years and i'm getting tired of it always working out the
same way. that's why i
was
looking for other people's experience w/ stone and their
thoughts.

The reason that I asked was: Perhaps you have an abundance of
cool
season
grass(es), which would definately give results as you have
experienced, during hot weather. Perhaps going with a more
warm-season grass would do the trick.

If it's a sunny area I'd consider killing the whole thing with
roundup and planting a blend with improved turf type tall fescue.
How many square feet is it, and is it fairly level?

it's about 2300sqft appx.58x40 and has between 2.5' - 3' of pitch
from the house to the street. iv'e never measured the slope but from
my best estimate, it's no more than that.

mike..........

That's manageable. I'd kill it like I said above and then slice seed it
with about 30 pounds of a tall fescue blend. Buy a 50 pounder and that

will
leave you with 20 to spot seed with. The drawback is you'll be doing it
in the spring when all the weeds are going to germinate with it, but it
can

be
done.

Tall fescue has a very deep root system compared to rye or blue, and
with the endorphytes it is somewhat insect resistant too. It is a
little bit prone to one disease in particular, but it more than makes
up for that

with
its performance.

what is slice seeding?

thanks for the tips,

It's a machine that slices right through your old dead lawn and sows your
brand spanking new tall fescue lawn in one pass. (well not actually because
you should criss cross it so it doesn't look corn row when it germinates.

It has to be fairly level for best results but no muss, no fuss. You don't
have to sod strip or till first either. Big thatch can be a problem, but
that's usually seen in fine fesue planted in full sun, like a fish outta'
water.