Old 30-11-2006, 02:50 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_2_] Jonno[_2_] is offline

Default Beatles on my lawn

Thats OK You were having a senior moment.
"Petesin" wh@tthe**** wrote in message
the stupid thing is i spelt it 'ee' all the way through then went back and
changed it to 'ea' before i posted it .... anyway i have heaps of lizards
in my yard and i can't see any damage just yet so i will leave it be for
now. The ta ta lizards (at least that's what i call them) should be nice
and fat by the end of summer!

"Petesin" wh@tthe**** wrote in message
I have noticed in the last month a huge increase in beatles in my yard at
night. Tonight when i went out to put the sprinkler on (don't be jealous
SE QLDers) there was probably around 20 to 30 jumping around the path. I
googled lawn beatles a while back but all i got was some black ones.
These are much lighter in colour, more greyish. The area where I have the
light is obviously where I see them (I can't see in the dark yet but once
my carrots come up i think might eyesight will improve 10 fold) but the
lawn there is very healthy. Around the back further it is yellowing off
but I thought that may have been a fungus as it is only yellow where it
got lots and lots of water when I was establishing my vege garden.

Should i be concerned about these beatles? I love my lawn atm as I have
it very lush and green (i know there is many lawn haters out there but
i'm not one). Would rather not use a pesticide if it will kill off earth
worms as I am only just now starting to notice them around in the gardens
but if the choice has to be made between worm and lawn lawn will win
every time. Who am I to sit back and let mother natures lawn die when it
could be so easily saved?

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Cheers
Petesin