Old 30-11-2006, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Wollemi Pine

On 30/11/06 00:02, in article
, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

snip
That's amazing. I've just had a look at Forest NSW. I didn't realise
they'd been able to bulk up the stock so quickly, and was stuck in the
time when the few specimens available for sale were priced in the
luxury bracket. Heynes in SA say it'll stand pretty hard pruning, but
wait till winter: see their factsheet at:
http://www.heyne.com.au/gardencentre...rchase+your+ow
n+living+fossil.htm

I did a bit of a Google.au on "wollemi pine cuttings", but gave up
after a few pages. It seems they do well, though you get different
forms from tip and side cuttings. With a strong rooting hormone they
apparently strike in about six months in coarse sand, after which you
transfer to a conifer mix and pot on as necessary.

Like you, I'd thought they were still immensely expensive rarities though I
do hope all those people buying Wollemi pines are quite sure that's what
they've got! Apologies to Peter for my doubting Thomas act!
I must admit that I find them very dull trees but it's undoubtedly a good
thing if the world stocks of them can be increased to protect the species.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk