Old 30-11-2006, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default common stinging nettle..

On 30/11/06 13:25, in article
, "Cat(h)"
wrote:

snip

My sister - a mother earth organic type from when knee-high to a
grass-hopper - produces what she calls (roughly translated) nettle
slurry. She basically steeps an armfull of nettles into a large barrel
of rain water, and let it ferment (no boiling, just steeping), then
uses the resulting awfully smelly slurry to feed her plants (veg in
particular). Interestingly, she also uses it in a sprayer as a
pesticide. It works wonders for houseplants, according to herself,
though she likes to leave them out for a couple of hours till the
stench has eased off... I can't say I blame the pest for looking for
alternative abode.
Maybe this is the kind of thing the OP is referring to, rather than
consumption by humans of nettles as a veg (and young nettles do make a
lovely soup).

I think you've probably hit on the right solution - in every sense!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk