Old 30-11-2006, 09:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
betsyb betsyb is offline

Default Garden Box Question?

I plant vegetables in an oak shipping crate. I have used it for 6 years and
never cover it till spring. I do dump leaves in it in the fall and shovel
them under before spring. It has metal corners.

--

BetsyB

"Dan L." wrote in message
I made two garden boxes during the summer, 12 x 4 feet and 1 foot high,
too big to move. I used a mixture of compost, peat moss and vermiculite.
I live in the thumb area of Michigan (zone 5b). I also enjoyed the
fruits and vegetables of my labor.

Note: I removed some of the mixture from the sides to keep the boxes
from separating to freezing (I hope).

The main question: Should I cover the boxes with tarps?
Will the cold winter and snow cause the soil to be compressed-compacted?
If I cover the boxes up, will it be come a haven for mice?
or diseases and molds form?

To cover or not cover, that is the question!

Enjoy Life .......... Dan

--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash
automatically.