Old 30-11-2006, 11:32 PM posted to rec.ponds
Köi-Lö[_3_] Köi-Lö[_3_] is offline

Default My 2 cents and a little pond stuff

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message
Now for the promised pond stuff. We don't freeze real hard here in
northern Florida (I'm right near where I-10 and I-75 cross), so I don't do
anything for the pond. I don't have any fish or neat plants in it either,
so I guess it wouldn't matter if the pond did freeze, which it doesn't.
It
freezes here, just not for very long and not very often. I went to grade
school and junior high in San Antonio, and although I know we're north of
there by latitude, it actually seems warmer here.

We get some hard freezes here and sometimes the ponds get a covering of ice.
I leave either an aerator running a bit under the surface or a small water
pump to keep an opening in the ice. Both the GF and koi do well through the
winter. If anything fails to make it, it's usually the small thin young
fish and an occasional frog.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.