Old 02-12-2006, 12:14 PM
Charles White Charles White is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougButtimer
The soil in my area is VERY clayey and hence the growth of moss in our lawns is a major problem, even in summer. I can normally control this growth by using a RawnRaker and I'm tempted to use it a few times over the winter (if weather permits !) to stop the grass being overcome. Can anyone advise me on whether, on balance, this will work to save the lawn over the winter, or whether I just make more space for the moss to grow again ?
Hi it would be best to leave the Scarifying till the spring as when you rip out the dead material you want grass to be encouraged into the areas that are thin it is best to lightly fertilise after treatment then apply a little seed approx 35grams per meter over the areas and then top dress with a 70/30 sand soil mix.
If you want to improve your lawn core out the some of the clay and brush in a 70/30 sand soil mix this has to be done in dry conditions and do not smother the grass this will if done regularly cause an improvment in your surface area.
Charles White
www.everythingforthegarden.co.uk