Old 02-12-2006, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Wollemi Pine

"Peter Jason" wrote in message

It is about 1/2 meter tall and the top is
growing fast. I don't have a garden and it
lives in a pot on the patio. I just want to
train it into an attractive shape because it
has branches lower down that grow out
horizontally.

I think you wasted your money.

The Wollemi Pine belongs to the Araucaria family and this family all
grow into huge trees. The really spectacular thing about this family
is their shape in that they grow enormously tall with stunning trunks
and have superb pointy tops. There are many wonderful and enormous
examples in older gardens in Oz (especially old farm gardens) that
were planted in the 19th century and in many Victorian era cemeteries
(such as Rookwood in Sydney).

The official site for the Wollemi Pine says that the biggest one in
the wild is 40 metres high so I don't fancy your chances of keeping it
looking good as a pot plant given the preferred way that these trees
grow.