Old 02-12-2006, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Ramblings

On 2/12/06 19:30, in article , "Anne
Jackson" wrote:

The message from "Muddymike" contains
these words:
"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from "JennyC" contains these
words:

Any advise on deterring teenagers welcome.

Prickly hedge
Automatic movement sensor triggered lights
Play classical music loudly

I have found that treating teenagers as reasonable
human beings usually helps....

Reasonable human beings don't climb into folks gardens and throw the back
gate into the undergrowth. For many years I donated my time as a CI to an
ATC squadron where I met and became friends with a lot of very pleasant
teenagers. Sadly we have a minority here who seem to gain pleasure from
destroying and marking other peoples property.

Yebbut, if you have only recently moved into the property, and the teenagers
have been hanging around that locale for a few years, then they might well
resent your moving into what was 'their' territory....plus, unless I'm
mistaken, you're an 'incomer' to the district?

This can create resentment....

Er, Anne, if you own the land, don't you think you have the right to use it
as you wish? How about that breeding resentment in the landowner, whether it
be several acres or a few square feet? I really cannot see that it's
helpful to the teenagers to allow them to think they can 'resent' someone
objecting to their disrespectful use of his land. How would they, or their
parents, feel if he went to wherever they live and lifted the door off its
hinges so he and his friends could party in their house, flat or garden?
Why should it be that people with private or large properties can expect
them to be used as public amenities, while others do not expect that to
happen to them in their home?
We had someone here who was heard to tell her small child to 'go and pee in
the garden' when he said he needed the loo. Unfortunately, the person who
overheard this did not ask her where she lived so that we could all go and
pee in HER living space.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk