Old 02-12-2006, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default seaweed

On 2/12/06 21:49, in article , "MadCow"
wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
On 29/11/06 18:42, in article
, "Keith
(Dorset)" wrote:

We live a few hundred yards from 'tons' of seaweed.. but I wouldn't want it
on my veg. plot. however good it might be! Nasty, pooey, slimy stuff.

Jersey farmers have used bladder wrack (vraic in Jersey) on their fields for
generations. Only in more recent years have they used the ghastly nitrates.
The potatoes grown in land fed with vraic laid on them straight from the
beach are sublime in flavour and the soil they grow in is wonderful.
In California, I've heard of people who actually pay others to go and
collect seaweed and sell it to them! If you have bladder wrack at hand and
don't use it, you're really missing out.

Collect your seaweed from the strand line after a storm. A shingle or
sand beach is more likely to have storm debris than a mud one. They're
expecting a storm tonight so good luck.

It's blowing now and the glass is dropping by the minute. Very, very nasty
weather coming our way.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk