Old 23-03-2003, 07:20 PM
catstone

Default Anybody growing white asparagus ??

Hi to all you aspergus lovers. I have been growing white aspergus for twenty
years in zone 5. It is very easy, once you know a few basics.
The best soil is sandy. The plant needs a minimum of three years between
sowing and the first cut. Sow outside and don't touch the first year. Second
year, transplant to permanent location. The plants need about a square yard
of space, as the roots are enormous. I gradually add about 3-5 inches of
earth above the roots. Now here comes the difference between green and white
aswell as between tender and tough: As someone already mentioned - darkness.
Back home we heap earth on the rows. I am lazy - sorry - tall juice cans
work better! Lift and peek - if ready cut just above the ground - if too
short - put the can back and wait. It is that simple!
Occasionally I loose a plant to frost, bugs or whatever. No big deal, as I
sow one pack each year. I harvest between about May and late June. Then I
let them grow out into bushes. I never cut too close to the roots. Small
knife or just snap off, but never pull! No sprays, no chemicals, just a bit
of manure between the rows in fall.
Freshly harvested aspergus gets washed, cleaned and used or frozen
immediately.
Ever tried the old fashionned way, boiled in sal****er, drained, drizzeled
with melted saltfree butter, fresh potatoes and some mild ham? Bonne
appetit!

rosemarie face wrote in message
Hi ! I was wondering if there are any gardeners in this group growing
white asparagus ? Since I love this great vegetable I would like to grow
it myself . I would be very thankful for your advise how to go about it
I live in zone 5 .

Thanks !
Rosie z5