Old 23-03-2003, 07:20 PM
Chris Ridge

Default Advice please on repotting cymbidiums

I just bought my first two cyms. They are standard size, blooming in 1 gal.
nursery pots. I want to divide the one which has completely filled its pot,
but the other has room to grow for at least another year. The top of the
potting medium is small bark chips mixed with some perlite, but underneath
it looks like peat moss-based potting soil mixed with small chunks of bark.
I know that this would be too broken down for most orchids, but from what
I've read, cyms like a semi-terrestrial mix. So what I need to know is,
what kind of mix should I use when repotting? Is the current mix too small
and broken down? Any thoughts on semi-hydro? I've had great success with
it so far, but I'm not sure about using it for such a big plant.

Thanks,
Chris