Old 03-12-2006, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
a.c. a.c. is offline

Default Pruning the Budljia

judith lea wrote:

Tulpa wrote:
Hello all.. following my 'New to composting' post (thank you all..) I'm
wondering if anyone can give me some guidance on pruning our various
shrubs/trees?

Buddlea, Lilac, Dogwood, Apple, Damson... all looking a bit wintry but
straggly... I've lopped a lot off the Buddlea and am worried that it
may not come good in spring?

Cheers.. R

Hello Richard,

I am by no means an expert but I know that apple trees should be pruned
in Autumn, you can do it now.

As a general rule, prune apples now (autumn/winter) to create form.
That is to say that since apples will fruit next year on this years
growth, if you go pruning now, you risk removing the fruiting buds for
next year, but new growth will emerge from your pruning and this new
growth, which can then fruit in 2008/9 may be more to your liking in
terms of the shape of the tree.
In summer, you can nip back long stragly new twigs/branches and what
will happen is that this summer pruning will encourage more spur-like
growth, which tends to be more productive.

Your damson should be left until Spring,
when the sap is rising, to prevent infection of disease.

Lilac, I have pruned in Autumn and it comes good every year. Buddlea
are really thugs and I have found that the more I batter them, the more
they like it. There are some really good RHS books on pruning in
paperback, take a look online. Good luck with the garden and welcome
to urg.

Dogwood. If it's the red/yellow stemmed thing, then leave them be so
you can enjoy the colours for the winter, then prune back at least 1/3
to encourage new shoots as these give the best colour. To determine how
much to cut back, depends on the health of the dogwood. Lovely fresh
plant... good chance of recovery from sever pruning, but half dead...
go easy (-: