Old 03-12-2006, 11:52 PM posted to aus.gardens
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default chook manure breakdown

"0tterbot" wrote in message
hello,

if i have a pile of straw with chook poo in it (as i do), can anyone

tell me
the minimum time i can leave it till the chook poo is deactivated to

the
point where it won't burn the plants? (i don't really want to

compost it all
down, or anything, i just want it for mulch with extra vitamins). i

watered
it, it's not dry. it's mostly straw, though, it's not a pile of

manure by
any means.

I thought about this question overnight and it's a bit hard to answer
because it's a matter of being able to
see what it looks like. Having said that, what I think I'd do is to
try to start the rotting process by watering it and turning it a few
times. If that worked OK, I'd then give it a few weeks at least (3 or
more depending on how it's going) before I spread it. I'd spread it
cautiously away from the stems of plants to begin with. And I'd water
the soil well before spreading it as if the place where you spread it
has drought stressed plants then you could still do damage resulting
from an inability to cope with rich food whilst in poor condition.