Old 04-12-2006, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default what is the MOST toxic plant?

On 4/12/06 00:06, in article ,
"Duncan" wrote:

"luke" wrote in message
ups.com...
i have been doing research into poisonous plants and i have hit a stone

what is the MOST toxic plant in the world. some websites say it is the
castor bean some say it is the roseary pea but some people say it
deadly nightshade(atropa belladona) i just dont know

Castor bean seems a good candidate, but some other nasties include Oleander
(said to be able to kill if twigs are used as barbecue skewers) and
monkshood (but I'm still here despite my parents having a garden full of
this).

Alnwick garden have a good poisonous plants collection, and apparently
someone was hospitalised after just sniffing the henbane.

but Nicotiana probably kills more than all the other poisonous plants put
together.

Have there been any reported cases in UK? I didn't think anyone had died of
accidental plant poisoning (according to the RHS) for a very long time.
That said, we no longer sell rue because of the number of people who suffer
skin reactions to it.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk