Old 04-12-2006, 04:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mike Mike is offline

Default Climbing Vine removal

I have a huge climbing vine in the corner of my yard, all tangled up in
the fence, and growing probably 60 feet up in several trees.

I'd like to try to determine:

1. The name of it
2. How to get rid of it.

I found the main point where the thing goes into the ground, and cut it
off. It was probably 6-8 inches around. I've cut all of the pieces
that go up into the trees, and I'm working on removing the runners that
are growing along the ground. It is very hard work. This plant makes
a mesh-like network of runners that go out, and they are anchored to
the ground, but grow pretty shallow. It's almost like a large carpet.

I've started in one corner, and have been working out from there to
remove it. To remove it, I'll start pulling up a runner, and when I
get to a point where it's attached firmly to the ground, I'll cut out
below it and keep going. Some of these things are like 50 feet long,
seems like, and they criss-cross, which makes it very difficult to
remove.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be, or some pictures I could
see to point out what it looks like? I checked on Google, and did not
find any.

Also, any other suggestions for removing it? It's next to a creek, and
in the backyard where the dog lives, so I'd rather not use a caustic
chemical.

I thought about getting some of the stump dissolver stuff and putting
that on the main root (the 8 inch or so stump that I suspect is the
main base for all this crap).

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks.