Old 04-12-2006, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis Emery Davis is offline

Default Robinia pseudoacacia

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 17:37:48 GMT
"Hake" wrote:

Hello,

I have the above robinia in my front garden (planted last year) and am
concerned for its welfare. It suffered badly in winds, it had poor roots
when i got it & it has had a branch snapped off. To me,it looks like it is
in too windy a position ( front garden, we live in a housing estate on top
of a hill). My question is, should I leave it to fight on & pull through? -
does someone own one that has grown up in such a situation? Or should I just
cut my loses and find somthing more tolerant of exposure?

Hi H,

As others point out, these have a rep for being easily damaged.

None the less I've got one that has gotten used to a very exposed
situation. At first it lots a lot of branches, including some major
ones (as time went on) but now it seems very solid, and has made
a nice tree about 5/6 m tall. No breakage for maybe 6 or 7 years
now (the saying of which will probably cause major damage this
winter!) and my only complaint is that it doesn't bloom as much
as I'd like. Did so nicely this year, but after a several year break.

Also, it's bent about 15 degrees from the vertical because of the
winds...

I also considered trying something more suitable, but am now glad
I stuck it out. Mine has been in ground perhaps 15 years. Of course
YMMV!

HTH

-E

--