Old 04-12-2006, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod[_1_] Rod[_1_] is offline

Default what is the MOST toxic plant?

"luke" wrote in message
ups.com...
i have been doing research into poisonous plants and i have hit a
stone

what is the MOST toxic plant in the world. some websites say it is
the castor bean some say it is the roseary pea but some people say
it deadly nightshade
(atropa belladona) i just dont know

Not the *most* poisonous, but a genus I avoid assiduously is the Rhus
(Poison Ivy family). Even the ubiquitous Stag's Horn Sumach has been
said to put nursery workers in hospital, though I have no confirmation
of this.
I can speak for a very unpleasant personal experience with a less
common one, R. verniciflua - this is the plant the Japanese laquer was
made from. The trees I encountered were already dead when I started
work here just over 30 years ago, in my innocence I started cutting
them up for firewood. The yellowish coloured wood exudes a black tarry
substance and we all got it on our hands and clothes. I and my then
teenage daughter reacted very severely, whole body swelling, violently
itching rash, closed eyes - luckily no blocked airways. I couldn't
walk or drive and sensitive areas didn't clear until treated with
steroid cream. All the doc could do was to say was that something
hadn't agreed with us and prescribe the cream. Given the violence of
the reaction I have considered it very unwise to risk contact with
anything similar since. My wife was unaffected.
--
Rod

My real address is rodthegardeneratmyisp