Old 23-03-2003, 07:44 PM
Superkitt

Default Pond Ice - Fish could have died

I have posted before about a pond that I have built that was a little
deeper then 36inches, no fish, I wanted to try and dry run over the summer
and winter without fish to see how things would go.

Well, I'm moving and now I have to take the pond apart and fill in back in.

But here is the problem, the pond ice went right to the bottom, all 36+
inches.

I'm not sure even 4ft would have solved the problem and that would have
been the desired depth of my area (Toronto, Ontario, Canada)

I will be building another pond at the new house, a little bigger, maybe
300 Gal, this was a small 150Gal, but I'm not sure I want to go 4ft deep,
so if I put a couple fish in the pond, I will have to remove them come
winter.

What can I put them in, if I were to put them in the garage, the water
would get below 50F, but would not freeze I'm sure.

What kind and how large of a container would I need for the 2 koi I
currently have which are in my indoor fish tank at 6.5inches, I would have
to say come next winter they will be atleast 12 inches, too large for my
current fish tank.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Joel