Old 05-12-2006, 07:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
tennis maynard tennis maynard is offline

Default Dec issue of Orchids, anyone?

Eric Hunt wrote:
Danny,

There are a few excellent growers here who are virulently anti-AOS,

\
Understandable.

And just this weekend, someone who received an AOS award at POE in February
said they were probably not going to pay for the award, as there was no
obvious benefit to them for their $60 as a non-member. The fact that it can
take YEARS for the award slides to arrive and that it took over 6 months for
the initial bill for the award to come didn't leave this person with a
positive impression about AOS judging.

Perhaps I don't get it at all. I thought an 'award' was something you
GAVE in recognition of some positive aspect or achievement. Not SOLD or
CHARGED for. I've never gotten it, and I never will. It's just stupid on
the face of it and more and more people are coming around to my way of
thinking it seems.

If an AOS award is $60, I can't imagine what they charge the recipient
of a Nobel prize. And what's the going charge for a congressional medal
of honor? Anybody know what you have to pay to get a purple heart?