Old 05-12-2006, 08:04 AM posted to aus.tv,aus.gardens,aus.general
Oz Oz is offline

Default Isn't it funny how...

"lynx" wrote in message
Oz wrote:

"ros " casscat??ATiinetdotnetdotau wrote in message

i know... but i can't do NOTHING just because business is water
expensive. that will change eventually, i hope...

it's not always convenient to do the washing machine/grey water thing,
esp at night, but i have it draining into a big rubbish bin, from which
i syphon it when it suits me... and i'm sick of tripping over buckets
in the shower but when those buckets provide all the water i need for
several shrubs, it sort of seems worthwhile...

i dunno, perhaps it just makes me feel better, and that can't be a bad
thing )

"lynx" wrote in message

imorf wrote:

ros wrote:

My lawn is pretty green too - i use ALL my grey water from washing
machine (front loader), shower (yes, savers) and rinse water from the
kitchen sink on the grass and plants etc. Adds up to quite a lot,
and everything's thriving, tho i did change my washing powder to
phosphate free 'green care' liquid - aus made, and works great.

/pat on the back.

Meanwhile industry uses how many thousands/millions of litres daily?

My next house is going to be designed along the lines of a house boat in
regards to water use, grey water is stored in a separate tank and then
used for things like flushing the toilet and in a house it could also be
pumped onto the gardens, you just have to change to phosphate free soaps
etc.
I'm actually in the planning stages of doing this to my existing house,
especially if restrictions get worse, fortunately mu house is on piers,
that makes it easier to get under there and make the necessary plumbing
changes etc a low level tank along the back of the house will hold the
grey water, only the kitchen sink and toilets will flush directly into
the sewerage system and the rest will be diverted to the tank where a
pump will keep the cisterns in the toilets filled and the rest will go on
the garden etc, already have a large rainwater tank, for the families
drinking water, I estimate I can reduce my water consumption by around
50% this way

I've just fitted a diverter to the laundry outlet. Is it ok to allow the
wash water, i.e. soapy detergent water, to run onto the lawn? Or only the
rinse water?

I let everything to out on to my lawn, but I have a front loader and
therefore have to use a low suds detergent, but even before we owned a front
loader, we still used everything, the big difference being the higher suds
(read higher in phosphates) detergent we used in the top loader made the
lawn greener in patches, usually because I moved the outlet between cycles
to cover all the lawn and the areas that got the wash water greened up
better than the areas that only got the rinse water, it makes no difference
now as we are letting the tub next to the machine fill and then letting it
out, and because the front loader uses less water than the top loader, we
are getting a couple of cycles in there before we have to release instead of
having to empty for ever cycle on the old machine.

--

I'm Off to see the Wizard....

Oz