Old 05-12-2006, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Wollemi Pine

On 5/12/06 11:57, in article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

snip
I suppose I belong to the "plant trees for future generations" school of
thought. And even though it's sometimes necessary, I feel real sadness
when
I see a tree being felled. I could never plant a tree telling myself it's
just a temporary arrangement. We're getting some dieback in some of the
older trees in our garden, like the beeches, which is my favourite tree.
dread the day we're told any of them have to come down and hope most
sincerely I won't be around to see it happen!

Well if it's any consolation once a tree has been planted around here and
attained either 2m in height or a girth of not much then the tree
preservation man gets involved . He is of your school of thought and will
make you underpin foundations before allowing anything to be chopped. A very
nice man but not to be messed with.

I remember being really horrified and even rather cross, with a friend of
mine who wanted to chop down a huge old tree so as to build a conservatory.
The local planning officer said he was going to get a tpo on it to prevent
her doing so. While he went off into town to do just that, she got the
builders to cut it down and when he came back she told him it had been cut
down before he could put a tpo on it and too bad.

About now the tree surgeon man comes to remove dead wood from one huge beech
(having got permission from the tpo people). I am reliably informed the tree
is dying but will it will be towards the end of this century before it will
be a goner.

That, at least, is something! I want us to plant something to replace the
bit Cedrus atlanticus we have at the almost-bottom-of-the-garden but the
problem is what and where. Too far back and it's too close to the wall and
too far forward and it's in the shade of the cedar and competing for food,
too!

When something eventually goes it is a grand opportunity for a re-design.
(Memories of Kew and the great storm)

It certainly is but that's already happened in this garden. They had a big
storm here in 1990 and a great many trees came down, including two cedars
almost as big as the one we have left. Ray says that it let a lot of light
into the garden! Whoever planted it up 150 years ago must have be a real
dendronologist!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk