Old 05-12-2006, 02:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking
Peter A Peter A is offline

Default Under ground part of the fennel

In article . com,
says...
Yesterday I harvested my only fennel plant. It had a thick tap root
that looked like parsnip or horseradish. I left it outside because
there was a lot of soil clinging to the fine roots. Thinking I'll
clean it later and try cooking it. This morning I found it mostly
eaten by either raccoons or rabbits.

Anyone here know if it's good as human food or is it just good for
animal feed?

It's a great treat. It can be sliced/julienned and used raw in salads.
It can be cooked as well - I think it goes well with fish.

--
Peter Aitken
Visit my recipe and kitchen myths pages at