Old 05-12-2006, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Köi-Lö[_3_] Köi-Lö[_3_] is offline

Default Don't order fish

"Jolly Fisherman" wrote in message
On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 22:37:39 -0600, Köi-Lö wrote:
I'm clueless as to what kind of area you live in but get the impression
you're not near any cities or large towns. You may have to plan a trip or
two to another city some distance away. A bigger city where there would
be
more turnover of their stock. And CALL the store to make sure the
shipment
came in before you dive or take a bus or train there.

=================
In these suburbs where I live ppl basically seem to either pay a
premium for a big custom tank or pond and get installation and
maintenance service or they buy a common fish and small bowel or tank
cluelessly for the kid, kill it, and then move on from the hobby.

Fortunately I'm in mostly a middle income area so we have all types of
ponders and tank owners here - from those with expensive sw setups to those
with small tanks with a few guppies. :-) We also have a fantastic
privately owned Aquarium store that sells nothing but fish and herps. It's
only 30 miles away. The place is huge and often has odd-ball fish you don't
see in the chain stores. I loved the place and try to get there every few
months.

Frankly my neighbor looks down on my tanks because they aren't huge &
marine. (If only the FW hobby was as cheap as she assumes).

I've found a couple of good shops but clearly need to do some more
exploring...

One Saturday my husband and myself checked out a few new pet stores in a
nearby city. We weren't overly impressed and some of the places were a bear
to even find, but it was fun! :-)
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.