Old 05-12-2006, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default newbie question on spider mites

Bob Hobden writes

"GH" wrote ...
I am battling spider mites on my houseplants. For the moment they seem
to have receded - last week I moved them out on the balcony (to lower
temperature and extend the reproduction cycle) and sprayed twice (3
days interval) with a different systemic insecticide (imidaclopride &
dicofol).

Ocasionally, I can still see one or two moving up or down a blade.

Can you advise me what to do to get rid of them?

Are you sure it's Red Spider Mite as they are just about too small to see
with the naked eye.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Spider_mite

I can see them ;-)

They like dry conditions so spraying with water every day helps, make sure
you spray the undersides of the leaves too. Keeping the plants in more moist
conditions helps too.

Wiping the underside of the leaves with a damp tissue will remove quit a
few.

If they prove to be resistant to your available chemicals, there are
biological controls. Probably difficult to remove every last one with
either chemicals or predators, so Bob's cultivation advice is important.
--
Kay